Sunday, February 21, 2010

Week Six: not engaging in a power conflict

huh. This has worked before, and it worked again when given the chance.

I've been wanting to read a book to Fiora - heaven knows why, she much prefers to read them to herself! But I have this idea of connecting by reading, and I'd still like to give it a chance. After all, sometimes she DOES really like to be read to, but we haven't made it a priority of late. Tonight, during the bedtime routine (pjs and diaper, brush teeth, say goodnight, read book), Fi was reading along (and noodling big time). I finally asked her if I could read the book - not take it, it was HER book, but borrow it and read it; and that I'd really like to read it to HER. Whew, lots of screaming about how it was her book! I just sat back and didn't engage in that conflict - what was there to say anyway? I'd already said my piece. And after several minutes of almost crying, she silently handed me the book! I said thanks, and started to read it to her. Her attention wandered part way through, but not so much - when I finished it, she said brightly "my turn!" So I let her read through it, and then it was lights out.

Peaceful bedtime otherwise, and that drama was so worth it. Now to figure out how to make book reading a real connection...ask her questions about the story, maybe, and the pictures....

And it was pretty cool that she has accepted the "one book" nighttime rule after just 5 days or so (at least she didn't go looking for another book!).

Love this girl, will keep striving....

2 comments:

  1. Now we need the one time wake up per night and she'll be golden ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that's her regular, Mr. Baba! We're pretty lucky with that as a rule.... Too bad we can't hit the 7pm bedtime (though I think she's napping more to compensate).

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete