Friday, February 12, 2010

Week Five: It happened. A peaceful bedtime.

I'm not sure whether I can breath yet!

So, here's what happened. We had dinner (Fi just picking at dinner...confirmed with daycare family that she often eats dinner there, and as we pay more attention to her nighttime eating habits, it's becoming obvious that she doesn't need to eat much many nights after daycare), then I invited Fiora to play chase. Well, THAT was too exciting to pass up! So we played chase for a few minutes until she got tired/distracted, then I got her PJ's and nighttime diaper out.

Tick off "exercise"

I helped her off with her clothes. Then I left to put away the dirty clothes as Fiora ran off to "go potty." When I came back, she had her diaper and was lying down in an attempt to put it on! Go, girl! I helped her, then PJ's (some fussing, but I kept inviting her to put it on herself - that does still help some). As does the promise of brushing teeth once PJ's are on! We raced to the bathroom, I told her she could get her own spit rag (where she practices rinsing her mouth and spitting without having to reach the sink or dribbling all over her PJ's). She ignored that for several minutes, then asked if she could get her rag! Hurrah again! After we were done, she was ready to run out and get a book...but I reminded her we had to clean the bathroom first (an idea only introduced yesterday, so reminders are okay). So she grabbed her cup and put it on the counter, took her toothbrush and put it up, and I hung up the "spit rag." Wow, three firsts in one 15 minute piece of time.

Then off to pick out books. I told her she could pick out two and I'd pick out one, 'cause I'd love to read to her. And I told her we'd take the books to her bedroom to read. That made her stop and think, but I talked about sitting on the bed, and I think she liked that. She tried to divert to mama's bed, was getting upset, but I offered to pick her up so she could turn on her bedroom light - big carrot! Then when I put her down, a little upset again, but I fluffed up a pillow on her toddler bed and made myself comfortable, and it was too much to resist! She came and joined me. We read simultaneously (I swear, she doesn't like to read TO us, but to herself - are we THAT judgmental?!?!), with her occasionally listening in to the good bits in my book. :) I told her the last read-through before bed, and then when that was done I told her it was time for bed, "which bed do you want?" And she picked her crib, with little fuss about the transition - oh, sigh of relief! Then I picked her up to go say goodnight to baba and the dogs. When we came back to the room, SHE turned the light off. And didn't want any songs, so straight into bed she went (with a book clutched in her hand still).

Tick off "more structure on how many books" and "reading in the bedroom"

There was one callback when her binkey fell on the floor, but she's asleep now.

SUCCESS!! For the first time ever. She was always a Cry It Out baby. This was so nice to be around.... And the secrets? Minimized transition to bedroom, gave her more power-choices directly about bedtime (which bed? turn on/off lights?). Thanks, PoT roadmap and Kurcinka!

4 comments:

  1. Nice work.

    1. One book. The end. Doesn't matter that you like this. It becomes a bad habit and then it takes months to undue the 3 books a night.

    2. Watch the lieing down with her. I would change it up just a bit so she doesn't think this is the routine. They are smart these babies.

    3. If you don't want to do it the rest of your life, don't do it even once for a baby.

    4. So think about what YOU want bedtime to be and then teach her by DOING. You are one smart, determined mama and that is one damn lucky baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. One book. Hm. interesting idea...I admit I don't really like the vibe of reading at the same time as her anyway - it's strange, and not terribly respectful, and not, well, CONNECTED, you know?

    2. Didn't lie down her. That SO doesn't work with her anyway.

    3. Didn't mind the cry it out technique, heck, it WORKED, you know. We loved finding something that worked for her. It's just that now I wanted to find a way to get her to bed that wasn't so emotional, because I'd really like her to get in tune with her body's rhythms (when I wrote that on the first roadmap I made, man, it just CLICKED!).

    4. i want bedtime to be a peaceful transition to sleep. And we're getting there! i don't really care so much about the brushing her teeth, or the PJ's, or the book, but that's working, too, and that makes me happy. And I like the connection of going through that routine with her, and even seeing her enjoyment of being in charge of her bedtime this past week - so cool.

    5. Responding to an earlier post you made, I don't feel guilt so much as confusion about how to frigging have a good relationship with sleep. Reading Kurcinka is helping ME, and I've been wanting to have a better relationship with sleep for ages. I've had a better bedtime all this week, too (!!!), though I think it's still rockier for me than for Fiora...I like thinking that I'm not modeling finding overstimulation so I can stay awake later, too....

    6. You never know how much a kid can figure out about feeling sleepy if you don't give them a chance..... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. The exercise doesn't really seem to matter for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.P.S. Though we all enjoy it, parents and dogs and child! :)

    ReplyDelete