Sunday, February 28, 2010

Week Seven: Flashback again to the Crucial C's

During the momTV session two weeks ago, Vicki challenged us with this (or something similar enough that this is what I wrote down): how will we know that we are sending these messages (you are capable. you count. you have courage. connect...er, that's a mutual thing I guess) to our kids?

I like that question. It takes my mind out of making a list of things I can do, and makes me pay attention with my heart, to the signals my child is giving.

Despite that beauty, I'm also finding keys to these things for Fiora.
capable: give her space (and time) - she finds many of the opportunities on her own!
count: well, this is something I still tell her with words
courage: this is something I'm working on finding as a positive thing for her - that frustration and failure can be great things to experience in the safety of our home, and wonderful challenges to rise to
connect: i have to mentally drop all the other crap from my mind that keeps me from being in the moment, and know that my top priority is to connect to my child. Oddly, the other thing that helps with this is going to my zen mind (I did zen for three years in Chicago, blessed be) and detaching from any outcome or any label.

1 comment: