Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Week "Nine" part two - Money Management

Fiora could get an allowance. That would be dropped until we cleaned it up into a vacation jar or somesuch. Well, I guess the point is, I don't really know that. Give the girl a chance and see what happens.

But to be honest, I'm a bit torn. We really want to teach Fiora about saving money, giving money, as well as letting her learn how to spend her money. Gads, Brian even wants to figure out some way for her to experience the potential disaster of credit cards for herself (at some later date, of course!). I could see her learning how to save her money on her own (Brian and I both did as kids, because there were things we wanted to spend it on), and how to spend it on her own, but what about giving it? We were thinking of doing a donation at Christmas, on the Christmas tree, that the family decided where to give to. It'd be cool if at some point she did the same thing with her allowance...and why not from the very start?

In addition, if she chose some crappy candy that I wouldn't eat and think isn't good for her, my mama-bear tendencies would move me to say, "I want you to be strong and healthy and feel good, and that food won't help you. Not for Fiora." If she chose dry pasta or whatever, well, okay.

I actually remember one Saturday when I was a kid. My parents finally got tired of us kids REALLY WANTING whatever was being advertised during Saturday morning cartoons (I still remember the ads for chocolate chip cookie cereal and gum with exploding flavor in the center!). So they told us that for one Saturday a month, we could eat whatever crap we wanted. Of course, we bought a ton of stuff (we didn't usually eat sugar in our household), including the afore-mentioned cereal and candy. I still remember the disappointment - the cereal was pretty darn tasteless, and the gum was a far cry from my imagination. I don't remember fighting to keep that tradition going...it wasn't worth it.

Why do I tell that story? Well, I DO believe that buying crap isn't terribly self-satisfying. But it might also help to have some exposure to other options. The ads really informed my brother and my choices of what to buy. I don't remember my mom ever giving us options when we were food shopping...I'd love to introduce Fiora to Divine Treasures chocolate sweetened with agave (they're so good!), or gelato, etc.

Looking forward to learning more about how to do this well. And what Fi will do when given the chance. She's surprised me often enough before!

4 comments:

  1. For us definitely the hardest part is surrendering control over what they have access to. Apparently it's all in the agreements you set up about boundaries for purchasing - but for that to be effective, the limits need to be pretty minimal - too much control and it defeats the purpose. Vicki said choose your most important values, when figuring out your own tolerances for what the kids can buy (no violence in toys, books, or music, for example). I am focusing my energy not on limiting purchases, but rather on agreements about how those items are used in our household (how much candy can he eat, sharing toys or putting them away, etc). I agree with your parents' idea that providing some unlimited access to the forbidden, destroys its allure. As for charitable donations, I'm planning on modelling and inviting, but not requiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Listen to part two of the MomTV show. I go into Candy and saving and giving away. Might help pull things together. Oh, never mind. I think someone just clarified. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lizzie, like MidwifeMama, I let my kids buy whatever candy they want, but we have P & R to define when they can actually EAT the candy. Their responsibility is to eat a healthy diet throughout the day--which we have defined in terms of how many servings of fruit & veg--then they can have a treat after dinner. I am hoping this will teach them: 1. occasional treats are okay as part of a healthy diet and 2. moderation.

    I've found that Kaitlyn mostly buys candy on impulse, hoping that I will let her eat it immediately. When I don't, it goes in the cupboard to save for an after-dinner treat and is usually forgotten. After a big pile gathers, Marshall takes it to work to give away.

    When Fiora realizes that there are equally delicious (or better!) treats already in your house for FREE, she may rapidly lose interest in spending her money on candy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm, P&R regarding timing or amount seems reasonable...though tricky to explain at her age? Putting money in a dentist jar, equally so. cool ideas, and I'm sure we'll be putting them in action...

    ReplyDelete