Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Week Eight: P&Rs, more thoughts

Who knew I would think about this so much? I thought this week was going to be kindof like a vacation, since Fi is so young, but instead it's making me think about the contrast between how we express our expectations of and faith in her now and how that is similar and different to PoT's P&Rs.

Tonight, Fi was washing dishes, and she has had Spring Fever today - zoomies in the house, singing while in the sink, ready to do marathon dish washing. At any rate, it was getting messier and messier over there, and I finally told her it was getting too messy and took her off her stool. And I realized then that there it was, the responsibility (or lack of fulfilling it) becoming cause for punishment ('I'll take that away from you!!'), rather than the communication that perhaps her skills need to get a little better before she can wash for a long time and still keep it neat. It was so easy to slip from the former to the latter, with that realization, and I love the expression of faith that that little shift allows. I felt good about being Fi's mom when I spoke to her, instead of feeling like the bad cop.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful and helpful illustration of the inherent respectfulness of 'that little shift'. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete