Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Week Eight: Privileges and Responsibilities for a 2 year old

So, just realized that I'm going to have to remember to make the transition to inviting Fiora to specify what the responsibilities are for certain things, especially as she gets more articulate.

Which reminds me of another thing. Because, in the encouragement theme, we are encouraged to ask our kids questions, I settled down in front of Fiora the other evening and asked her what she did that day. It was something else to see how much she focused on the answering of that question - I loved it! And she was truly able to communicate something about her day. How cool! Now, hopefully I would've eventually done this anyway, but I wouldn't have done it now without PoT - I don't know, worried about frustrating her or something? Anyway, so glad to have started with this tool.

And did I mention that i tried using questions tonight while chatting with my husband, and we had the best conversation we've had in months and months?!?! Huzzah for questions and curiosity and connecting and listening!

2 comments:

  1. isn't it so interesting how we find ways to apply PonT concepts to the adults in our lives?? I am also thinking about how to consider P&Rs with Hazel - there are a few tiny ones already in place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm not sure how well these relate to PoT P&Rs - I chose the responsibilities (though obviously, based on Vicki's story about her 16 year old son, they must've done that some too!), and I considered them requirements for doing that activity (rather than responsibilities - a slightly different mindset). But I love getting on the wagon to think about them, and I love seeing how some of her privileges AREN'T associated with responsibilites. I think Brian would love to have screen-time linked to getting dressed and packed.

    ReplyDelete