Friday, March 19, 2010

Week nine, etc: Up, a movie about letting go...

Man, was there ever a crashing good symbol for holding on to something that is no longer meaningful in the moment - there's this little moment of betrayal of his friends in the moment, his new friends, his new promises, because he's still clinging to stuff from his previous life - and boy, but didn't it ring familiar. People say this animated movie is about the process of letting go of a loved one (and it is, and it's beautiful and funny, and the dogs are brilliant), but it also resonates with what happens whenever I'm with my little girl, or my dogs, and a button is pushed. I KNOW, somewhere, what's true to the moment, I know it doesn't feel right to ignore that, but at the same time something else is screaming for recognition and resolution, and doesn't that push emotions to a head!

So, for everyone who has been doing Parenting on Track, and likes good movies, this one deserves watching. (Unless, I don't know, do you end up finding PoT moments in any movie that has a crisis?!? Maybe so...but this one was so CLEAR...and involved an adult/kid moment, which doesn't hurt.) I think having the story-symbol will help me recognize my moments and keep my cool...so thanks, Pixar.

No comments:

Post a Comment