Monday, August 2, 2010

Not a Good Day, but still Reasons to Celebrate

Fi was cranky, I was cranky. But I was just able to hang on to the vision enough to make some super critical differences in our day, and I'm really really proud of that.

(1) I wanted to take the dogs for a day walk/hike today (they didn't get to go to the blueberry fields with us on Saturday), and usually it's best to do that early in the day before it's hot, before lunch time, before naptime. But yesterday when I proposed going for a walk, Fiora erupted, she wanted to keep drawing. I at least knew how much I hated getting into anger-vibes with her, so I sat still for long enough to realize that I didn't really want to take her on the walk today (too likely to have fusses and for me to get frustrated) and to realize I could walk the dogs during her nap. This, I must say, was a great solution. quiet time at home for cranky people meant less stress and fuss, no child on the walk means we made it all the way to the end of the Reservoir path for the first time in ages AND got to the experience the beauty of the exposed reservoir "beaches" due to how low the water was.

(2) I took Fiora to a work cookout yesterday. At least, what I thought was a work cookout. Only, I got the wrong day. Now, usually, driving 40 minutes on a day I didn't feel like driving, making fresh bread specially for the event, I would've been so pissed off at myself. But after the recent post about buttons, including the one about getting lost (I happened to get lost, too), I found myself able to make the decision that, hey, I made a mistake, wasn't the end of the world, no need to self flagellate and make myself and Fi miserable...and instead we chowed down on fresh bread in the car on the ride home which was FABULOUS, and ate fistfuls of wild blueberries - it was like a car party! That was just amazing...such a blessing to be able to side-step that old trap....ahhhhhhh!

Love Parenting on Track!

2 comments:

  1. Great for you! So, so much of it all is rewriting our own reactions to life situations. Then the kids can respond differently too. It's like you are learning how to parent yourself better. Your car feast sounds like a celebration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it really surprised me! I surprised myself, I suppose. :) I definitely didn't want Fiora hanging on to her irrational tantrums, which was what my browbeating periods looks like in retrospect.

    ReplyDelete