Sunday, August 19, 2012

That vision

I love the roadmap to what we want to live as a family, what values we want to highlight in our lives. It makes me feel passionate about this family thing, and this life thing. It's tough sometimes to read about families where one parent is home full time (though often working) and not envy that consistent time with their kids -- it's tough to read about families in small rural towns with great neighbors and similar aged kids nearby and not envy that sense of community they have, and the ease with which kids can play in the yards and woods. And I have to remind myself in such moments, that envy isn't a "bad" emotion like it's cracked up to be. PoTr has helped me help my daughter embrace whatever feeling is filling her body and heart and move on from there. And thereby teaching me, and my husband, about the possibility of doing the same. I realize my envy stems from a desire to have enough time with my children to have memories get created organically. I realize my envy stems from a desire to have a good community around us, and dinners with friends and kids and sharing food, and kids and dogs playing without risk. When I let myself go this far by embracing that envy, it suddenly makes me feel empowered again. Perhaps I don't know quite how to get these things in my life frequently, but at least I'm starting to realize with more and more clarity what I want in my life, and that feels like a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment