Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Parenting with Courage

That was a recent topic on momtv. It was sortof about being willing to commit to our choices as parents without having to be completely right, being willing to commit to choices that are true for us as people ("because this helps me be a better parent," "because this is important to me," "because this is the schedule I need us to have today."). At least, that's the gist I got.

And it's been pretty freeing - I hadn't realized how often my personal choices were based on things I'd read, or logical steps I made in my mind about what would be "best" for my child. But in retrospect, the choices we made as parents that were based on what we needed (ex, Fiora's bedtime and her own bed space determined by my husband's need for structure and a quiet bed) have been some of the best (though who knows, maybe that's part of her reluctance to sleep many nights? ;) ). Perhaps more accurate would be to say that those choices were the easiest to follow through with and be consistent about, and often felt the best, on some deep level.

After the topic was discussed, i didn't really think it would affect me too much. But in fact, I'm finding myself making certain decisions that affect Fiora more from my gut and heart, and I can tell how it's easier for her to read me and respond honestly compared to times that I'm waffling about! Wish I had stories to tell, but they're hard to tell...I'm probably saying exactly the same things (about how many times we'll read a book tonight, or what we're eating for dinner, etc.), but I can feel that I'm saying them differently, esp with body language. Anyway, it feels good, and I don't want to forget, so I'm writing it here. nothing like writing things to help solidify them in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment