Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Did I meantion "x" about "yes, as soon as"

I mean, how encouraging it is to have that simple tool!! (that's the "x" alluded to in the title.)

I've been getting frustrated that Fiora is slowly destorying our CDs, DVDs, and CD/DVD drives. I kindof assumed DH would be the one in charge of protecting those, as he's the one who has the most, but he completely hasn't (perhaps taking the lead from me, because I hadn't mentioned I'd given it up? Who knows). So today, when Fi started playing with the new external harddrive we bought after the CD/DVD drives in both of our computers failed (hmmmm.....), I was definitely button-like: "No! Don't touch that!" (anymore)

I didn't like the sound of my own voice, the feel of my own body language, so I tried to adapt. "Okay, Fiora...you can touch the CD discs, but first you need to show me you know how to take care of them. Mama didn't realize how fragile they are, and we need to start over." I don't know how much sense that made, but Fiora proceeded to ask me if she could see a CD 10-20 minutes later, and so I proceeded to make sure her hands were clean and then show her a few ways to handle a CD without damaging it. She paid a lot of attention - she's pretty motivated about this.

Anyway, it was really nice to have an option besides "You can't handle that!" To have an option that said, I'd like you to be able to do this, and I trust you can, but there's some learning that needs to happen first. It's up to you. And it was also really nice to see how responsive she was, and how doing it this way did't hurt any feelings, know what I mean?

2 comments:

  1. Calm and collected thinking! I have not really dealt much with H and the discs - basically I hid the ones that I really want to protect. Fi's response motivates me to really try to teach her how to handle them. Thanks! Missed you today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lizzie, something about this post gives me the warm fuzzies! I think it's because you turned a situation that could have been frustrating and unhappy for both of you into a way to connect (through teaching.) Love it! I look forward to catching up on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete